Friday, August 9, 2013

If I’m a Chicken You’re a Turkey

This is something I’ve been dealing with a lot lately, so I figured I would just say it: no, I am not cool enough for you, and I really don’t give a crap.  Mostly because I’ve never been cool, never wanted to sit at the cool kid’s table, or belong to the cool kid’s club, never wanted the recognition or judgment that comes with being cool.  I’m very happy just being dorky ‘lil ole me, obsessed with British period pieces and literature and art and crossword puzzles and Simpsons references.  I actually have repeated dreams where I can read with my eyes closed! I wish it was true.  I’ve always been “artsy,” as my mother would say (although lately her descriptor has been: “bohemian”), and pretty unconcerned about what was trendy.  I don’t like trends-they’re flippant, and not in that good way when I brush off your dumb-ass remark with a twist of my wrist and a sarcastic comeback.  Classic, I prefer classic-give me Katherine Hepburn and you can keep your Kardashians.

I might teach in a high school, but I’m not in high school.  I don’t need people to like me-honestly, I don’t want too many people to like me.  I have enough friends as it is, and I don’t know how many more friends I want.  I prefer real, true friends to casual acquaintances-it’s hard enough to keep up with my besties with our busy schedules, work, children, husbands, families, etc...I barely see my best friend once a month and I miss her like mad, but I know if I needed her that she would move heaven and earth to be with me (and I know this because it’s happened before).

Your innuendoes aren’t so clever, and I’m a lot smarter and a lot more perceptive than you realize.  You’re really not fooling me-hell, you’re really not fooling anyone for that matter.

I don’t like drama.  Really.  Ask my husband, because he will attest to the fact that I’m pretty drama free, mostly because I’m a mature adult, but also because when I have an issue with someone, I confront that person.  I don’t pussyfoot around in passive aggressive bullshit mode (although, this post is beginning to feel that way).  When I complain about something it’s because I’m upset, not because I like to complain.  And like any woman all I want is for you to listen…not necessarily fix the problem.  Trust me, I will fix it on my own.   I think I got all my complaining out in my adolescence.


Aside from my husband, my daughter is my favorite person in the whole world.  And I won’t want her to have to deal with “coolness.”  I see bullying pretty first hand so I know the toll that it takes on teenage girls (and anyone who thinks, “Well I was bullied and I was okay,” doesn’t know what bullying is really like nowadays-it’s become inescapable with no retreat to the fortress of solitude).  My friend “N” thinks that I have a very healthy sense of self (that I have great self-confidence), but I have no idea about how to instill this in my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment