Friday, January 18, 2013

Danger Will Robinson

There are a lot of things that you can and can not do while pregnant.  Most people know that you can't smoke or drink-not a problem as I don't do either of those things.  Plus, turns out you can drink now, just in extreme moderation, and not at the very beginning or the very end of the pregnancy.  You can't eat cold cuts unless they've been heated to steaming, on the off chance that you get e-coli (asked Dr. Dad about this one-he said the chances are sooooooo slim, that after my 1st trimester he force fed me a sandwich-we were in an airport and our flight was so delayed that feeding me was a requirement).  I wasn't worried about fish or seafood because I don't eat that either, and I don't drink coffee or tea, so that was easy.  But I do drink soda...lots and lots of diet soda, sometimes with caffeine and sometimes without.  According to my OBGYN, no fake sugars in pregnancy! So, bye bye diet sodas. (Also bye bye most frozen yogurts...sad face.)  This website was great for laughing at and debunking some of the do not's-it also explained a lot of the do not's, which helped tremendously.

I was good.  I was impeccable during my 1st and 2nd trimesters, mostly because I was so neurotically scared that I was going to lose the baby (hey, it already happened), that I followed every single rule.

Wanna know another rule...no antibiotics! Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue, but as a frequent U.T.I. sufferer, antibiotics are a must.  So when I got a U.T.I. at the very beginning of my pregnancy, I was given the only thing they could give me-a very low grade antibiotic which, according to Dr. Dad, wasn't even an antibiotic-it was more of a preventative. So I wasn't surprised when the U.T.I. came back and I had to go on another round, which led to a yeast infection, while I was on a cruise, to Mexico.  And let me tell you, you don't know discomfort until you're on a cruise, in Mexico, pregnant, beyond nauseous, dizzy, with a yeast infection.

Turns out my OBGYN diagnosed the U.T.I.'s wrong anyway.  At first he thought I had an ectopic pregnancy, so I had to go to the hospital for another stranger to stick a plastic dildo up my vagina.  When that didn't pan out he gave me drugs, which gave me a yeast infection but didn't take away the nagging pain on my bladder.  Then, he realized I had uterine fibroids that were pushing against my bladder and I never needed the antibiotics to begin with.  There will be more about the fibroids as they caused other issues, misdiagnosed by my OBGYN, later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment