Friday, January 18, 2013

Getting Pregnant

I come from a line of fertile women. Or, I've been told that I do. My great maternal grandmother had a few children, but only my grandmother survived into adulthood (we're talking the 1910s here, so this wasn't uncommon). And considering she and her husband were cousins, and cousins with the same last name, I think that's pretty remarkable. My maternal grandmother had three daughters, all while she was in her late 30s and early 40s-and for the 1950s, that was unusual, so the fact that she and my grandfather were so successful is pretty impressive. My mother had no trouble getting pregnant with either me or my sister (seeing a pattern of all girls), so she didn't think that I would have any problems.

Hubby and I got married in April, and we were determined to get pregnant on our Hawaiian honeymoon that July. Two miscarriages (one confirmed, one suspected), one miserable pregnancy, and one premature emergency c-section later, I am mom to a beautiful little girl. It's been a journey, and I hate when people use phrases like that. It has fucking sucked would be more accurate, and it still really sucks sometimes, but it gets better everyday. We are lucky.

 So here is our story-past, present and future.

No comments:

Post a Comment