Monday, January 28, 2013

My Boobs Don't Work


My plan was to breastfeed and pump for at least 9 months-I was really looking forward to the bonding time with my child and I had seen many friends breastfeed so I knew firsthand the benefits and the realities.  The day after the C-section a lactation consultant came by my room with a hospital grade pump, lots of plastic pieces, and a whole shpiel about the benefits of breast milk-I didn’t need the shpiel, but I did need a lot of help getting the machine to work.  I should probably also mention that because Lily was 2 months early, she timed herself perfectly to arrive 9 months after that freak snow storm last October, so the hospital was packed with babies conceived when there was nothing else to do.  Lactation was overbooked and undercovered, nurses were pretty frantic and every maternity room was taken.  They even had a woman recovering in the room usually set aside for NICU parents to spend overnight visits.

You’ve probably seen a breast pump.  But, if you haven’t, there are basically these two conical, Madonna-bra looking pieces that you hold on your boobs.  They’re connected to a pump via plastic tubing and the pump stimulates the baby’s sucking motions.  I pumped and pumped and pumped, every three hours during the day and only once overnight (the social worker said that I had been through enough and needed to get some sleep-social workers are really great people).  I pumped with my sister-in-law in the room, I pumped while my father waited behind a curtain-you get the picture; I was dedicated.  By the third day, I managed 1 milliliter (prior to that, I only produced moisture).  The NICU nurse put a cotton swab into the vile and rubbed the 1 ml on Lily’s lips-tears of joy!

I also pumped in the pumping room, a room specifically for NICU moms to use.  There’s nothing like attaching a mechanical, sucking baby to your breasts in a nipple chilling, sterile room with posters all around you telling you how important your breast milk is-especially when you can’t seem to create any breast milk.  But it did help to bond with other NICU moms who were there for the same reason (shout out to “A.R.”).

We rented the hospital grade machine and took it home where I kept up my routine.  But I never seemed to produce more that 10ml per sitting, combined.  Was this normal?  This couldn’t be normal?  I spoke with lactation, but they weren’t terribly helpful.  One of the NICU nurses was also a lactation consultant, and she mentioned that fibroids (bastards) combined with a preemie could be causing low output.  After about a month of continued frustration, I thought about quitting.  Lily was growing and she was getting breast milk, exclusively, but she was only going to get bigger and pretty soon I wouldn’t be able to make enough for her.  The hubby and I thought that Lily would be home in another month (we had been in the NICU for a month already), so I decided to push through that second month with the machine.  I had to make it work!

There’s this great chapter in Tina Fey’s Bossypants where she discusses the external pressure that women get, from other women, about breastfeeding-she’s not making it up-women do really hate other women and feel it’s their job to push their agenda on other women.  Somehow, I really lucked out because my friends and family aren’t like that.  There’s no one in my inner circle secretly judging me or criticizing me because I wore the wrong jeans or I’m not a vegetarian or I don’t exercise as regularly as I should-I also almost never wear makeup or do my hair for work, and trust me, I really should at this point, but my friends don’t harass me about it.  So this feeling that I had to make it work, that I had to produce, that I had to breast feed my child…it was all coming from me.  It was just more of my own guilt, the feeling that I couldn’t do anything for my daughter, I couldn’t be a mother in any way, I had to at least be able to do this for her.  Because, if I gave it up, could I even call myself a mom?

5 weeks became 6 weeks became 7 weeks and I wanted to give up, again.  Lily clearly wasn’t coming home ‘any day now,’ and she was getting more formula than she was breast milk.  Even though she was tiny, one of the NICU nurses suggesting letting Lily breast feed.  She only did it twice, but both times were amazing.  There was this little thing completely dependent on me, staring up at me and loving me.  If everything had gone as planned and I could produce and my baby was born at term, I would be a breast feeding mama! I would never give it up, not until my child turned it away, and even then I’d probably still try to get her to take it.  And that’s when I realized that I was the one who was being selfish.  This was something I wanted for me, not something that could nourish my daughter-at least, not in the long run.  It would be better for her if I just admitted that my boobs didn’t work, at least not in a lactation capacity (they’re pretty fun in their other capacities).  So Lily got breast milk for two months, and my boobs dried up within 4 days.  And, you know what, I’m okay with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment